A LiteSpeed license may only be used on one server at a time. If you wish to replace your old server with a new one, you need to Transfer the license.
Release is a part of the transfer process. Release the license from the old server once you are ready for it to be used exclusively on the new server.
We recommend transferring your license by way of a trial. By using a trial license, you can freely transfer a LiteSpeed license from one server to another server under your account with a fifteen-day overlap. This provides you a smooth migration between servers with more than enough time for testing.
There are eight steps to the transfer process. All steps take place on the new server, except where specified:
- On the old server: Make note of the contents of
/usr/local/lsws/conf/serial.no, or download the file
- Obtain a trial license. Run your tests and get the server prepared and ready to be used in production. After successful testing is complete, update your DNS to point your domain to the new server.
- From your Client Area: Navigate to Services > My Services. Select the license you want to release, then click Release License. This will immediately terminate the license for the old server. Don't do this step until you are ready to use the new server exclusively!
- From your Client Area: If your server IP address is changing, clear out the locked IP address. The license will be locked to the new IP when you register it in step 6.
- Copy the license's serial number to
/usr/local/lsws/conf/serial.no. Or, if you're using a control panel, you can input the serial number via the LiteSpeed plugin.
- Register the serial number with the
sudo /usr/local/lsws/bin/lshttpd -rcommand
- Test the registered key with the
sudo /usr/local/lsws/bin/lshttpd -Vcommand
- If there are no errors, restart LiteSpeed Web Server
For more information, please see our full documentation.